Rescue
On Jun 6, 2020

Three lives lost off Illawarra coastline

Crews from MR Port Kembla launched searches under darkness in response to two separate emergencies when members of the public reported hearing calls for help from the water.

A major air and sea search was mounted by NSW Police, MR Port Kembla, the Toll Ambulance Helicopter and Surf Life Saving on June 6 when screams were heard near Bulli Point.

A runabout with four people on board had capsized about 6.20pm. The helicopter pulled two men, aged 31 and 23, from the water about 8pm, transporting them to Wollongong Hospital, while the search continued for a missing boy, aged five, and a man, 28.

The crew of Port Kembla 30 towed the runabout back to harbour about 10pm, where Police Divers found the small boy’s body.

Three crews from MR Port Kembla and Shellharbour joined the ongoing operation the next morning, searching up to 6nm offshore from Bellambi to Austinmer. The crew of Shellharbour 30 recovered the man’s body about 1.10pm.

Director of Operations Andrew Cribb and Illawarra Regional Operations Manager Bruce Mitchell held a critical incident debrief with both crews the following day.

“This was a terrible tragedy and we are holding the families of this very small boy and the man who also died in our thoughts today,” Mr Cribb said. “Operations in traumatic circumstances such as this also take a heavy toll on the members of the emergency services who respond and we thank not only our own members but all those who worked professionally and compassionately to rescue the two men on Saturday night and return the two victims to their families.”

The alarm was raised in similar circumstances about 6.30pm on April 16, when people heard a man yelling from Rocky Island at Port Kembla. This was followed by reports of a second man and a capsized boat in the water.

PK 30 was quickly on the scene, along with police, the Toll helicopter and the State Emergency Service. The man was located on the island about 7.30pm and airlifted to safety.

The search for the missing man was suspended at 10.30pm before resuming the next day, when police located the 68-year-old’s body. The uncle and nephew had been fishing but their boat capsized as they returned to the boat ramp.

Family member Matt Campbell thanked the Port Kembla rescue crew online: “Thanks for your efforts today and always, (love) the Campbell family.”

Latest News

Rescue
On Sep 22, 2025

Marine Rescue NSW calls on boaters to make safety a priority these spring holidays

More than 3,400 Marine Rescue NSW volunteers are on standby to assist boaters on waterways across the state during the upcoming spring school holidays. Acting Commissioner Todd Andrews said the...

Rescue
On Sep 15, 2025

Trailblazing women take the helm at Marine Rescue Woolgoolga

Marine Rescue Woolgoolga has made history as the first Marine Rescue NSW unit to appoint an all-female executive team. Image: (L to R) Dolly Clarke, Cherrill Powell, Lisa Mobbs and Taylor Marshall,...